Saturday, May 9, 2015

Bicycle Helmets


Helmet companies hate me.  I think the last time I bought a new helmet was when I had hair. 

I keep my helmets, too.  In the event one just rots away from the inside out.  Then I can switch to something that might look like a .... 

Most helmets seem to have more holes for ventilation than `stuff' for protection of your head. 

"I'm looking for a good helmet that protects my head and ventilates when it is hot."

"Sure.  We have the `all hole' helmet.  Just a set of straps that go over your head and under your chin, like a brassiere for a single ... "

Recently the straps on my latest helmet became so stiff and frayed that I figured it was time to look into another helmet.  Twenty-first century and all.  The only problem was that most helmets seemed to be built to ventilate rather than protect. 



Image result for bicycle helmet best ventilation
So now I had a fundamental problem:  How do I get a helmet that really protects without making me suffer the insufferable sweat and salty eyes?


A friend (Allan Duhm) who is usually several steps ahead of me in terms of equipment, performance and all around human sociability (the latter isn't a big stretch) recently purchased something that seemed to fit the bill.  The Giro Air Attack Shield.  (Who makes up these names?  Air attack?  Shield?  What is this, third grade?!!)
 
After much searching and reading I purchased one. 
Matte Black and White
 
I'm somewhat timid about looking like a fashionista on a bike.  For years I avoided fancy bike clothes and gear, wearing instead cutoff jeans and sneakers.  But I wasn't going to pay a lot of money for a helmet that was mostly holes and designed in such a way that if I DID fall on it my neck would twist and sever my head.
 
Today I wore the new helmet.  I like it.  I'm glad I bought it.
 
It was cold and windy up here in the mountains.  It was very sunny today.  The helmet provided protection from the cold without sacrificing ventilation.  I'm also glad that I didn't have to lather up my very bald pate with sunblock. 
 
The `shield' is better than a visor in many ways.  It is both a windblock and a shade against a glaring sun.  I was worried that the `shield' would blow off on a fast, windy descent.  Nope.  Designed with perfect wind ergonomics. 
 
Something worth considering for yourself. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment