Thursday, May 28, 2015

Carbon Fibre Hard Shell Seat - Modifications


I've recently modified the steering of the Bacchetta Ti Aero from a stiff riser coming up straight from the fork to a tiller arrangement.  The tiller arrangement allows me to recline the CFHS seat to as low as 4 degrees. 

When the stock CFHS seat is steeply reclined the upward bump at the bottom (toward the steering) becomes a limiting factor.  The stock CFHS seat was not designed for steeply reclined positions (< 14 degrees).  That is, the rider's coccyx is sitting on the `bump,' i.e., the section of the CFHS that bends up.  Uncomfortable and awkward.  When I have to come to a quick stop while in a steeply reclined position my pelvis is raised too high for my feet to fully touch the road.  I wobble like heck in the process because my feet are too high. 

A few years ago, and again today, I sawed off that bend in the CFHS. 
some text

I used a dremel tool to make the cut.  (Goggles and dust mask absolutely necessary). 

After I made the cut I covered the edges of the entire CFHS with a flexible plastic trim molding.  Insert the edge of the CFHS the cut (see above).  (Note: the trim molding I use is much smaller than 5/16".  See the pic below,)

I then drill very tiny holes into the CFHS and use very small cable ties to hold the molding securely to the edge of the CFHS. 

Then I put the Ventisit pad back on the CFHS.  Looks like this: 

Cutting off the upward bend at the base of the CFHS allows safer stopping and positioning on the bike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment