Thursday, May 4, 2017

Black or White - Frostbite or Heatstroke

Today was the first `hot' training day since last year.  Though I rode in the morning the temp was 97F by the end of 30 miles.  

30 Miles in the Arizona Desert

The plan was to do 60 miles, working on the `volume' criterion of my training model.  But heat acclimatization is a physical and physiological process that is entirely unconcerned with the racer's `will to power.'  

In the past I would push into the heat with the delusional mentality that `if it doesn't kill me it builds me.'  I hate to succumb to the probable effect of age and experience: balanced and reasoned judgment.  Sure, it's smart but ... I think I'm losing my ego identification with `recklessness' and `too-much-is-never-enough.'  Disorienting (dammit!).  Makes me feel grown up.  I don't like that.  

Me: "I'm a strong-willed stud able to get tougher when the going get's tough.  I'll suffer through the danger of heat and build even more `studly' creds."

Heat: "Fine.  You do what you do.  And I'll do what I do.  You lose.  I win."  

So I packed it in and called it a day. 

Tomorrow I start at 6:00AM and the plan is to do 75 miles.  Just as the heat is getting `too much' I'll be finished.  Same with the subsequent two days.  

Heat acclimatization.  Takes careful and gentle patience. But the goal -- performance -- is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment