Sunday, May 21, 2017

RAI Training Status Update - May 21

In a good training groove.  

Consistency.  Volume.  Intensity.  Graduated improvement in stamina and capacity.  

At this point I'm training five (5) consecutive days each week.  


Current weekly totals:


  • 315 miles 
  • 22.5 hours
  • 14,500 feet of climbing

My current plan is to follow this schedule for the next few weeks. Establish a firm basis in stamina (consistency and volume) on which to build.  

The plan is to introduce one `intensity' training session every two weeks.  Intensity is a necessary but dangerous element.  Too much intensity risks overtraining and interrupting the training schedule. Too little intensity results in lessened capacity, reaching a too limited fitness plateau.  

I plan on doing the Skull Valley Loop for the intensity training events.  The SVL has both short steep (11% - 14%) climbs and long, extended (20 miles, nonstop) climbs of 4% - 9%.  

In mid-June I'll begin adding 85 mile training sessions to the 5 day mix.  At first probably only two 85 mile sessions, the rest 63 mile days.  I expect to slowly transition to three day a week 85 mile sessions starting early July.  

Dennis Johnson, RAW and RAAM veteran recumbent champion, reinforces the need to `resist' the urge to overtrain.  Every fourth week I'll back off and take it easier.  Frankly,  I value Dennis' advice in this.  His accomplishments and experience persuade me that I'm not just `slacking off.'  

As well, citing Dennis' experience, I'll be adding a few 10 - 12 hour training sessions during mid to late July and into August.  We agree that pushing into 24 hour training sessions or big mileage training sessions don't add anything to capacity to perform well on long-distance races.  In fact, they likely interrupt a progressive training program.  

If all holds together these next several weeks and months I expect to complete the Race Around Ireland with calm, confidence and determination. (I'm even allowing myself to imagine setting a few records).  






1 comment:

  1. Dan,

    I always enjoy your blog and find your posts relevant and helpful to my own cycling. The RAI looks like quite a challenge and I wish you the best of luck. I have a couple of questions/comments. If I understand your training schedule your longest ride before the race will be about 180 miles (12 hours x 15mph) which is less than 10% of the race distance. That does not seem to me to be long enough. I am interested to know why you believe you do not need longer training rides. I would think that you would want to do at least 1 ride at least double 180 miles e.g, a 600k brevet. Second, I note that they drive on the left side of the road in Ireland. Do you anticipate that your having to ride on the "wrong" side of the road will present a unique challenge. I would think so especially as you fatigue and have to use mental energy to keep on the "right" side of the road. Jim

    ReplyDelete