Friday, October 12, 2018

Returning to Fitness After A Bad Year

In November of 2017 I participated in the 24 Hour World Time Trial Championship in Borrego Springs, California.  Though I managed to put 252 miles on the books during that event I found myself stopping for several hours to nurse a very painful right knee.  At that time I concluded that I must have pulled a tendon or ligament causing the pain.  

Following good medical advice I undertook a disciplined protocol of RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) for the right leg.  

In February of '18 I participated in the 24 Hour Pace Bend Ultra Race just west of Austin, Texas.  The PBUR course included several 4 - 11% short climbs.  I was able to complete 149 miles, spending most of the race off the bike, nursing the right knee / leg.  Again, I attributed the problem to tendonitis or the ligamenture equivalent.  

More RICE.

In June of '18 I participated in the 24 Hours In The Canyon ultra race just outside of Amarillo, Texas.  The first 100 miles was on a dead flat course in the Texas high plains.  Thereafter the event had us riding laps on a 7 mile hilly course.  The right knee/leg made climbing even the short hills very painful and I completed only 135 miles.

After several x-rays, a sonogram and finally an MRI it became apparent that I had bone on bone arthritis in my right knee.  The only option was to undergo a total right knee replacement surgery on August 13th.  

Now, after almost a full year of very reduced training and two months after surgery I am training to increase stamina by ramping up duration and volume.  At this time `stamina' is the major training objective.  As well, in order to allow for the best healing after knee surgery I am avoiding lots of climbing.

I live in the mountains of central Arizona.  

  • How can I avoid lots of climbing?  
  • How can I get requisite duration and intensity in order to increase stamina?

The Plan:

  • Train six (6) days per week.  
  • Thirty minutes every day on the Concept 2 Indoor Rower
  • Ninety minutes every day on the stationary bike (LeMond Revolution Direct Drive Trainer) at a modest aerobic pace.  Focus is on flexion of the right leg/knee.  
  • Every other day on the open road doing 20 miles on one of the least hilly courses (20 Miles - 845 Ft of Climbing) in my area.  

As my stamina increases I plan to do more open road training.  I will use the 20 mile course to do this, completing multiple circuits on this route. 

I expect to be doing this training routine, with multiples of the 20 mile course, for about two months before I attempt more challenging (climbing) open road riding.

My first competitive ultra event will be the 24 Hour February 2019 Pace Bend Ultra Race near Austin, Texas.  

Assessing my performance after the PBUR I'll identify several more ultra events for 2019.  

No comments:

Post a Comment