Friday, October 26, 2018

Update - Returning to Fitness

I'm typing this from a motel in Borrego Springs, CA, an hour and some change from the start of the 24 Hour World Time Trials. I arrived here two days ago (Wednesday) to get some flatland miles under my belt.  It is hot: 95F in the midday sun.  

Today is an `off day.'  The previous two days I did about 65 miles each day.  That is the most volume of miles I've done in four months.  And October looks like it will be the month with the most miles ridden so far this year.

At the end of my training ride yesterday my right leg was quite painful, but only when I clipped in or clipped out.  The quadricep tear in early September is far more consequential than the full right knee replacement in mid-August.  Lots of R.I.C.E.  

Unexpectedly, the right leg damage is soft tissue behind the knee.  The accident in September resulted in my right leg folding under me, heel touching the gluteus, with my full weight on the leg.  About 150 degree of bend ... and 128 degrees is considered very, very flexed.  The tendons and muscle at the posterior axis of the knee were compressed and, apparently, severely damaged.  I limp.

This means that the return to fitness regimen has to attend to allowing the knee axis to heal.  Lots of physical therapy, strict compliance to the physical therapist's at-home instructions.  This morning I spent 35 minutes on the indoor rower doing a sedate 5,200 meters.  And then another easy hour doing PT exercises.  Slow and painful.  

A perverse mantra of some cycling athletes is `too much is never enough.'  A certain road to ruin.  In a few minutes I'll head over to cheer the 24 Hour racers on their way.  

And then, tomorrow, Saturday, I'll assess the leg and decide if I should ride the bike or head back home for more rest and PT.  

I'm impatient from the neck down.  But my options are very clear.   

No comments:

Post a Comment