Saturday, December 5, 2009

Unconscious

Until I was around 55 yrs old I used never to `sleep.' I had two states: wide awake and unconscious.

Then I got old. Mother Nature switched out the `unconscious’ for `more-or-less sleep maybe for 3 hours at a time twice each night.’

Since mid-November I now have three states: wide awake, more-or-less asleep, and unconscious-dead-to-the-world. This blog entry is about regaining `unconsciousness.'

My training has progressed so that I’m spending more time on the bike (indoors, of course) and am slowly ramping up the intensity. Comfortably ensconced in the functional delusion that `age is just a number’ I expected to maybe take a longer than usual (20 minutes) early afternoon nap before I began my workday.

Last week I slept through the 20 minutes and woke up 2 hours later with a slight drool. Over the week I’ve been having stronger and deeper sleeps (aka `unconscious’).

I’m o.k. with that. It makes sense. Just another learning experience.