Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Attention `Excess' Disorder

In graduate school we had to learn how to diagnosis mental disorders.  There is a `big book of mental disorders' that all credentialed folks have to use.  The unanimous experience of I and my classmates was that each one of us had at least half a dozen diagnosable serious psychiatric disorders!

Decades later... no different.  We were right. 

These past two months of cycling in `valhalla' (Prescott, AZ) with more time to ride and train than I've ever allowed myself I've violated my notional dictum: `Be a fanatic about living a balanced life!!'  In otherwords, I'd frequently overtrain by doing too much, too hard, too fast.  Fortunately, I've been able to `listen to my body' and recognize it in a day or two and back off. 

This last `go-round' with overtraining left me wiped out, empty and flat all day after my early morning training ride.  I liked the training ride.  I `hated' feeling flat the rest of the day.  And, of course, my `psychiatric disorder' raised it's ugly head and I started blaming myself for stepping into this familiar hole again.  Then I started making lists of things I have neglected.  Finally, I took two naps instead of just my usual one -- this so that I can pile on the self-loathing for being such a slug and a sloth. 

This morning I looked at my Training Plan and realized that I had abandoned any forward looking Plan two weeks ago.  Instead I was just using it as a Riding Log. 

So now I'm going to do what I am supposed to have been doing all along:

  • Identify cycling events that I want to train towards;
  • Anchor my training to these events;
  • Set short and longer term goals;
  • Follow the `Periodization Training' method that has served me so well;
  • Live a frigging `balanced life!'

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes balance! Something I've struggled with mightily over the last 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is guy in France who is well trained on FWD bent and found the Vendetta marginally faster than the Metaphysics uphill (about 2% faster) he found that the Vendetta was requiring too much effort from the arms in steep hills because of the angle of the steering column and also the height of the BB. Apparently the advantage of speed tends to vanishes over long distances as with the fatigue you loose the ability to keep your focus on fighting the steering induced pedaling.

    Don Bentinos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don ... I understand the general perception that fatigue may result from steering induced pedaling. But this is where the equation changes from the bicycle to the cyclist. I've climbed hills as steep as 15% with the Vendetta and had the opposite experience; the angle of the boom and stem improved my climbing. Also, the fellow in France might have a different report if he switched the handlebar to a Gary Handlebar and used a more traditional set of brifters (SRAM, Shimano). Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan... 15% sounds good but look at this guy here

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtzMFoAm6vU

    he doesn't seem to have problem on 20% hills of SF with his VK2

    What is the Gary Handlebar ?

    Don Bentininos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan

    did you try the read beet to help you improve your endurance and recovery ? sounds like a powerful recipe

    http://www.naturalnews.com/028189_beet_juice_athletic_performance.html

    ReplyDelete