Sunday, September 25, 2011

Chondromalacia and Plantaris Muscle / Tendon

Left knee.  Had nothing to do with cycling.

Definition of chondromalacia patella: (By Mayo Clinic staff)
 
The cartilage under your kneecap (patella) is a natural shock absorber. Overuse, injury or other factors may lead to a condition known as chondromalacia patella — a general term indicating damage to the cartilage under your kneecap. A more accurate term for chondromalacia patella is patellofemoral pain syndrome. 

The plantaris muscle / tendon definition is so tortuously medical-wordy that I won't even try it here.  Essentially, it is a tendon behind the knee that is missing in 7-10% of the population and has little purpose or consequence.  However, when, for whatever reason, it is inflamed or damaged it causes pain and swelling.

I was schlepping 50 lb bags of dirt and rocks for some landscaping of our house and I pivoted on my left leg, generating these two conditions.

In 1989 I had arthroscopic removal of torn meniscus / cartilage in my left knee.  I'd run about 8 marathons at that point and ... that's what happens to some of us.  The cartilage gets damaged.  Since then I've been totally pain free (ran another marathon 9 days after the surgery).  But when I flex that left knee I'd always hear a few clicks and grinds.

Today I rode the bike 34 miles and climbed about 4,000 feet with nothing more than a slight sense of tightness.

When walking it is painful to straighten the left leg because of the plantaris muscle.  And the patella problem is resolving with NSAIDS, careful stretching, alternate heat and cold compresses, a knee band that sort of stabilizes the patella.  I used one on the Race Across the West and the slight initial pain literally vanished in less than 12 hours, never to return.   

Training will probably be on flat stretches for a while, avoiding too much power strokes on inclines.  Though, I still climbed faster than all my buddies today, and without pain.

Prudence, however, suggests reduction of climbing intensity.  So, for the next few / half dozen training sessions I'll be a flatlander again.  Probably a wise change of pace.  

1 comment:

  1. Don't know much about running or knee issues. I can say the the only time my knees bother my while riding is if I'm not using good form while climbing. When using good form the downstroke is actually rather light as far as the knee is concerned. We can discuss it more sometime if you wish.

    ReplyDelete