Friday, September 2, 2011

Big, good week.

Here it is Friday, September 2nd, and I know that I've got at least four good months of training ahead of me.  No more of this `dash' to squeeze in as many events as possible before the ice and snow get here. 

This week is Week # 6 of the evolving Training Plan.  I've still got two days before I close out this week and already I've ridden more miles, hours and climbed more feet than any of the previous weeks.  And I'm not tired! 

Because of the distances and climbing I've done so far this week I've trained every other day.  Again, trying to be careful about overtraining. 

Monday I had planned to do hills and mountains but wound up going north toward Ash Fork to get in some flat miles.  Mistake.  Intense traffic. All kinds of crap on the road.  Got a flat tire.  Four and  half hours, 3,451 feet of climbing, 60 miles.  Nice to get in the miles but I felt like I was riding on a crazy highway ... which I was.

Wednesday I rode from Prescott to Congress and back.  Ten hours, 9,504 feet of climbing and 9 hours of riding, with one hour off the bike for food and hydration.

Today, Friday: Good workout. 5,170 feet of climbing over 45 miles. I feel like I'm cheating when flying on the descents but later, on the climbs, I'm paying cold hard cash. Stayed in 39 front ring and 23 rear ring on all climbing (except the two 11% and 14% `pops' at the very end of the training ride). Cadence was typically in the 40's. Climbing HR usually in the teens(except for those last two `pops'). Training goal was to develop capacity for long (4.5 hours) solid grinds, i.e., endurance. Good week of training and rest. 

Here's a link to the rides.  Page back to see the rest.  3 Training Rides this week 

No comments:

Post a Comment