Thursday, March 22, 2012

Accommodating the `real' world.

One of the big `draws' of cycling, for me, is how endless the learning process. 

Each time I encounter a disappointment, a `mistake,' or a poor performance .. I feel like I have another `thing' to work on.  A few examples:

  • The recent (my first) 400 km brevet demonstrated:
    • My old ways of being a paceline gypsy (following other riders who know the course) don't work on brevets.  Rando riders typically aren't trying to finish in record time.  I was frustrated and angry about that.  
    • So I had a choice: accept what it takes to be self-navigating or just go as slow as the fastest rider ahead of you will allow.  
    • I'm choosing to be self-navigating so as to have no one to blame but myself if my performance doesn't live up to my expectations.
  •  A 42 mile ride with about 4,300 feet of climbing a few weeks ago.
    • My riding buddy was about 5 years older and 50 lbs lighter than me.  He left me in the dust.
    • So I have a choice: stay heavy and go slower, or lose weight improve my power to weight ratio and go faster.  
    • I'm choosing to lose weight and improve power to weight ratio and speed.  
  •  Riding a silk purse (my stable of expensive and high performance bikes) but equipping like it was a sow's ear. 
    • It's the same with folks who spend a lot of money on a health club thinking that such an expense would force them to go more often.  It doesn't happen.  They simply choose to not get what they paid for.  
    • So I have a choice: consider the mountainous terrain in which I live too hard and accept poor performance (rationalizing), or see the terrain as an opportunity and gear up the bikes, components, and equipment that will support powerful performance.  
    • I feel guilty and selfish spending money on `bicycle stuff.'  But, being serious -- grave! -- about building performance means that I deal with the `value' issues and spend and do what it takes to achieve my potential. 
    • I'm choosing to accept and work with the self-critical thoughts and feelings, hoping that I can distinguish between self-interest and being selfish.  A very, very tight line!!  
      • ("If you were really a good person you'd give up all your possessions, move to Calcutta and serve the teeming millions suffering from poverty!")
 I am simply blessed - lucky!- fortunate beyond belief to have good health, a stable world around me, loving and accepting family, friends, and neighbors. 



5 comments:

  1. Hey Dan,

    Nice post. By the way, if you're still needing (and wanting) an expedition-quality / randonneuring light system, give me a shout.

    Best,
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know what you end up doing on the self-navigation front. I've got a Garmin 301 that lets you load a course onto it, but I've never found it that useful. I tried using my old car GPS, but that hasn't worked out yet either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I frequently hear from some that their GPS either led them astray or saved the day. I think it is more difficult with either GPS or cue sheet on a bent, compared to a DF. I recall when on a DF that it was relatively risk-free to look down on the stem to read the cue sheet. Whereas, with a bent a cue sheet has to be flush into the wind in order to read it, making for flapping and moving figures. Still, I'm inclined to use a cue sheet over the GPS. Might make randoneurring generally slower than invitationals or known or signed routes. But, that is probably why they call them randos.

      Delete
  3. Great explanation Dan.Ayups are brilliant lights too (pun intended). I always feel happy getting lots of upgrade bits if I have earned it by better fitness, loss of weight, performance or all three. Set the goals and buy the goods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Brad. It's a constant battle: self-expression v. self-absorption.

    ReplyDelete