Saturday, March 3, 2012

This `happens' about every six weeks or so ...

The other day I installed a new carbon fiber hard shell seat Bent Up Cycles on my Ti Aero. I replaced the seat that I severely modified in 2010 while living in the flatlands of Illinois. The 2010 modification chopped off 2.5 inches at the bottom and drilled mounting holes about 1.25 inches back, allowing for a much steeper recline for flatland riding.

I don't live in the flatland anymore. On the steep, twisty roads in the mountain country of AZ less of a recline helps me descend more safely.

As I also converted from a 9spd to a 10 spd setup (50/34) it was time to take the bike out to the mountain for a shakedown. I met up with a local (DF) cycling buddy (who is 50 lbs lighter than me but about 3 years older than me).

I was carrying a 16 oz bottle of fluids - maltodextrin, protein powder and electrolyte (bite me `Hammer'), a 70 oz bladder of water, and about 7 lbs of tools, tubes and tires. He carried a 24 oz water bottle, 2 tubes and a patch kit.

The route was 54 miles that included about 4,800 feet of climbing. For the first 32 miles I made myself keep the climbing lead. Show off! I was redlining the HR.

On the descents I restrained myself in the interest of safety (too many 70 degree+ angle turns on the descents).

In the mountains the winds blow only one direction: in your face.  No matter that you may do a 180 about face, the wind is still going to be `in your face.'

On the `out' leg of this route there is dismally annoying 9 mile descent averaging about 4 percent (which you have to ascend on the way back). Again, what with the headwind and crosswinds I was careful to stay under 35 mph.

We then turned SW for 4.5 miles on rollers. Given that I have less recline (don't even use a headrest any more in the mountains) I deduced that I might be able to let him hold my wheel and benefit from drafting me. He's a skilled rider.  I pushed ahead in the late teens and early twenties and he was nicely tucked behind me.

At the turnaround point I suggested he lead out for a while as I was `plumbed' and he might not `understand' that. He registered shock and surprise at `plumbing,' and thanked me for the `heads up.'

We came to the first hill and I couldn't/wouldn't allow him to crest the next 4.5 miles of hills before us. Up the watts and HR!

At mile 34 of 54 I realized that my avg HR was way past threshold for the last 2.5 hours. From a `training' perspective that was about 115% of `more than enough.' I stopped the `threshold' anaerobic stuff and returned to a decent 140-120 bpm range for the rest of the route, which was almost entirely uphill.  He was steady and took a big lead on me. 

At the end of the training route I have about 2 miles remaining to ride home. These last two miles has me climbing a steady 8 - 13% grade before I dip down the last 300 yards to my home.

Came home. Was happily humble. Felt entirely spent. Showered and went to bed for two hours.

Woke up, uploaded the Garmin data and noted that I had the device `stopped' for about 6 miles of uphill return. I stopped to make an adjustment on the angle of the SRAM TT500 lever and failed to turn the Garmin back on.

Prescott-Kirkland Out and Back

I realllly had a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment