Friday, May 18, 2012

Snatches ...

Day of differences.  Maybe even contrasts. 
  • Did my 2nd fastest training run today from Prescott to Wilhoit and back.  34 miles and 4200 feet of climbing; several Cat 4 climbs.  2:59:25. 
  • A good riding mate, Russ, passed me climbing up from Wilhoit and slowed down to chat a bit.  Russ led me up from Prescott to Flagstaff a few years ago.  When I got there I was totally fried.  Russ, gave me a big smile, wished me well and took off back down to Prescott.  He rode on the treacherous switchbacks, climbing up from Clarkdale and Jerome to the top of Mingus Mtn and down into Prescott Valley, arriving home by 9pm ... in the dark!  Incredible athlete. 
  • Later in the afternoon I happened to be in a shopping mall where the parking lot was taken over by an `old car' show.  Dozens of `classic' cars, reconditioned by their owners.  Frankly, it was grimly sad.  All these old 60+ guys sitting in lawn chairs in front of their $30K cars in shorts with t-shirts saying `Question Authority.'  Pot bellies.  Old '50's and '60's music blaring.  They looked to be desperate for attention and adulation.  The ugly, casual excess of it all. 
  • I drive to the town center where there are a few dozen old guys on motorcycles, in their leather, fringe, rip-rapping noise.  They all look like dirtied up faux-dangerous old farts.  One guy had a vest that said 'Insane Outlaws' on the back.  Sloppy moustache, headbands, tattoos.  Desperate to be seen as `desperados' on bikes.  I couldn't help imagining seeing that guy with the `Insane Outlaw' vest in 10 years in a wheelchair, diaper wet and soiled, with a t-shirt saying: 'Cranky Noncompliant.'

3 comments:

  1. Dan, which bike were you riding for all that climbing? thx, Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bacchetta Ti Aero. 55/39 upfront; 32/11 in back. Ten speed. SRAM TT500s. Conti Gatorskins.

    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/179502129

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep in mind that when you ride several bikes, all excellent road machines, the final read on `performance' has to do with the rider, not the ride. At least, that's my experience.

    ReplyDelete