Sunday, May 6, 2012

The `West'

Seeing all the news about Sebring, BC24, and, now, Calvin's has made me miss being more centrally located, i.e., in the midwest. 

I've never `done' Sebring but would like to.  I've `done' Calvin's a few times.  And drove four days and spent way too much $$ to recently have done BC24. 

In central AZ there are many, many incredible competitive cycling events within a 6 hour drive. 

And nearby southern CA is a mecca for cycling. 

Reorienting myself to new events out here is a bit disorienting.  Especially when my participation in some events is that of `the recumbent.' 

So, as with life in general, one is either passive or active.  Take what is/isn't there.  Or make it happen. 

Action defines us. 

Taking what is `here':
  • May 26: Borrego Springs Double Century, (http://www.mtnhighcycling.com/).  14,900 ft of climbing.  Incredible event.  (5 hr drive)
  • June 2: 300km Brevet (AZ Randonneurs) from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon and back.  (2 hr drive)
  • July 21: Desperado Dual (200 miles), in Panguitch, Utah, (http://www.spingeeks.com/events/desperado-dual/).  (6 hr drive)
  • Sep 15: Skull Valley Loop Challenge in Prescott.  54 miles, 5,400 ft of climbing.  (in town)
  • Oct 13: Cochise Classic (234 miles), out of Sierra Vista, AZ, through and around the Chiracahua Mtns (http://www1.perimeterbicycling.com/cochise-cycling-classic/).  (4 hr drive)
  • Nov 2: World 6-12-24 Hr Time Trials (http://24hrworlds.com/24/index.php?N_webcat_id=360), Indio, CA.  (5 hr drive)
Making events `here':
  • UMCA Time/Distance course.  Using AZ highway 60 from Aguila to Salome and back (RAAM route).  20 mile section to be measured, sanctioned and certified by USATF and UMCA
  • Toyota Arizona Proving Ground.  45 miles west of Phx.  10 mile oval.  Perfect venue for Time/Distance competition.
So, `taking' and `making' challenging cycling events right here in my back yard. 



2 comments:

  1. I have learned to be very careful about driving back from events and to not drive tired. I would doze off rapidly and it was frightening. So now I have a little sleep (Uninterrupted) - to a maximum of 40 minutes(From research in Australia about long haul truck drivers and the amount of sleep they needed). I was very refreshed and alert for the drive home. If I started feeling tired again, I stop and have another little sleep. Also while driving home I would have a sense of being disorientated. I think it was due to riding the event in the recumbent position and then driving in the upright position. The little sleep before driving home help overcome this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Once, on a 24 hr race, I and a friend met at his house at 2am and drove 150 miles for a 6am race start. We both finished the race, stayed for the awards ceremony and I drove back home.

    Twice, on the drive home, I found myself falling asleep. I stopped and took the 15 minute nap. Very dangerous.

    These days I am very `alert' to visual cues of sleepiness. At the hint of them I pull over and sleep for as long as sleep will take me. Rarely have I slept for more than an hour.

    ReplyDelete