Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Surpising Training Efficiency.

In less than two weeks I'll be racing the Skull Valley Loop Challenge. Here's the Course Map.

Arizona Central Highland terrain (6,000 feet).  Fifty four miles and 4,800 feet of climbing.  To `ride' the SV Loop is a `challenge.'  To race it is several steps beyond a `challenge.' 

Last year I took 32 minutes off my previous best time and came in at 02:49:00.  I was very surprised at doing so well with very little focused training. 

This year my training for the SVLC is now very focused and intense.  Wish me luck.  I'm intending to take another 15 minutes off my PB.  Maybe even sub 02:30:00. 

I don't `race' often.  (I do hold two world racing records: fastest recumbent crossing of Illinois; fastest recumbent crossing of Indiana.  Both in 2009.)

Rather, I've done long distance endurance events.  I've often been the only recumbent to finish such events but never first. 

On Sunday, October 6th, I'll be `converting' the SVLC course from a race to an unsupported ultra endurance event.  Instead of racing one loop I'll be stringing five loops together over twenty-four (24) hours, i.e., 270 miles and 24,140 feet of climbing. 

All but about 7 miles of the `loop' are in remote mountain, forest or ranch land.  When the sun sets vehicle traffic can be literally non-existent.  Critters.  Flat tires.  Accidents.  Very, very dark.  And alone.

Current training for the `race' has included speed work, climbing with 25-30 lbs of extra weight (power to weight ratio) and increased frequency of `hard' training sessions.  So as not to `over train' I've incorporated easy days into the mix.  These `easy' days cover the same mileage and climbing but at a much less intense effort.  That is, instead of being on the road for 3.5 hours I'd put in 6 hours ... just time `in the saddle.' 

The 24 hour ultra endurance event (5 loops) scares me more than the one loop race.  Can I `do' 24,000 consecutive feet of climbing in 24 hours? 

It turns out that my `race' training program is fitting well into my `ultra endurance' training needs. 

In the last week my long, `easy' training sessions left me with lots of energy and little wear and tear.  If I carefully attend to proper pacing on the ultra event I'm very, very confident of finishing five loops in 24 hours.  One month to go. 

Logistics.  Hydration.  Food.  These remain the factors requiring careful planning for the ultra event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment