Tuesday, November 10, 2015

AZ Randonneurs Making a 600K Brevet Much More `Doable'

Spring 2012:

This year I've done pretty well with participating in the local Arizona Randonneur events.  A 200K, a 300K and, next Saturday, a 600K through SE Arizona. 

The 600K will start in Tucson and wend it's way S and SE to Tombstone, Bisbee and back again through Sierra Vista, Ft. Huachuca and then back to Tucson.  374 miles. 

It is a fact, in my case, that on the longer brevets I wind up being the only recumbent.  And, because of the different pacing characteristics between the DFs and recumbents ... I'm often riding solo. 

I prefer not to ride solo through very desolate desert terrain in the dark.  Especially so close to the US/Mex border.  So the plan this year is to start just before the break of dawn and stay in a motel overnight. Starting again just before dawn the next day. 

To my pleasant surprise the AZ rando folks are doing a bag drop for all of us at whatever location we choose to spend the night.  I assumed, then, that I'd be loading whatever was dropped in my bag onto the bike and carrying it the next day to the finish.  Asking that question I was told that, `no,' the AZ rando folks will pick up the bag the next morning and transport it back to the finish for me. 

Wow!  That means I can really streamline and minimize what I carry: minimal tools, tubes, etc.  Minimal clothing in event of unexpected cold. 

Several weeks ago I did an organized double century through the remote CA desert.  Even though there were `rest stops' they were just water and food.  Given the early season and my lack of familiarity with the CA desert location I loaded up on water, clothing and tools/tire/tube.  I felt like a pack mule. 

The 600K will be more challenging as far as time is concerned.  But now that the overnight bag will be dropped off and picked up I can exploit that fact and include not only sleeping and hygiene stuff, but extra tubes and the like just in case I run into real trouble the first day (using tubes, cartridges, sunblock, riding clothes). 


No comments:

Post a Comment