Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Borrego Springs 12 Hour Time Trial: 2015

My (very) short report.
 
1. The most well organized and well run invitational I've ever attended.
2. Almost perfect weather for the 12 hour (but the 24 hr racers experience temps as low as 38F).
3. Not as flat as I previously noted. (Living in Prescott makes most everything else seem `flat').
4. A high racer with a 0% - 4% angle of seat recline makes it difficult to start and stop ... feet too high off the ground. I fell over twice starting and stopping. 
5. For flat courses (like Borrego) I will need a low-racer (rear wheel drive). I'm looking.
6. My training will now include a major focus on power (pedal harder go faster).
7. The CA2 ... I'm going to raise the seat incline and move the seat closer to the headset. A high racer just doesn't accomodate low seat inclines with bike maneuvarability.
8. The CA2 will be my bike for varied terrain. 
9. I'll be building up my Ti Aero for dirt road (not mountain) riding ... suspension, fat tires, Tweener bars, etc. 
10. I'm in the market for a low-racer (M5, etc) for flats.  (Seat height below 48cc).
11. I did as well (185 miles) as expected for the kind and amount of training I did and the fact that I was self-supported. 
12. If life circumstances permit next year and the bike and training goes according to plan I think I can break 225+. 
13. I really, really enjoyed the time I spent with friends and the chance to meet new people.

UPDATE: Nov 19, 2015:

  • The M5.  I'm going to put off any consideration of getting one.  Balance and priorities.  The real gains to be made are in my own power and endurance, rather than with equipment. 
  • I have a LeMond Revolution trainer and will be getting the power meter attachment next month.  A dedicated training program to improve power and endurance over the winter is in order.
  • I think that the very extreme (0% - 4%) degree of recline on the CA2 may help in fast descents but has little impact on flat terrain.  I'll experiment with the degree of recline on the LeMond power trainer to assess body posture, distance from the crank and power. 
  • I like the tiller much more than the superman bars.  More control.  Less stress with having to hang my arms on the bars for long hours of riding.
  • The Ti Aero and CA2 are the best climbing bikes I have ever experienced and know of.  If they have competitors the difference is essentially miniscule.  Again, the rider climbs, not the bike.
  • Bentcyclist, VAD and many others have done remarkable things with making the stick bike frame dirt road worthy.  That will be the next equipment order of business for me this winter. 
  • My mileage goal for the Borrego Springs time trial was 225; I completed 185.  Thank god for simple problems.  I think I can set a goal of 250 next year if I maintain fidelity to a training plan and some competitive events. 
  • Barring the unknown, next year will have fewer distractions from cycling and I should be able to keep a balance in my life while investing more time (less time driving to flatlands) and intensity into training. 

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment