Thursday, November 26, 2015

Systolic, Blood Pressure, Heart Rate and Athletes

My questions:
 
  1. If an athlete has a very low resting heart rate (45 bpm and lower) does that mean that it would be `normal' for the heart muscle to contract harder with each beat? 
  2. If that is the case would it follow that the systolic pressure in an athlete is typically higher (greater than 120 but less than 140)?
  3. If the diastolic (bottom number) is less than 80 would that support a conclusion that the higher systolic pressure (e.g., 140/68 with a heart rate of 45 bpm) among athletes is `within normal limits'?

2 comments:

  1. Dan- It is great to read that you have returned to private practice, your patients will benefit from your approach to counseling, you are a gifted psychologist.

    I am seeking your advice on the best type of recumbent to purchase that would help a 53 year old who just suffered from a vertebral dissection and blood clot in the area of the brain that controls balance. I refuse to give up on biking , After my total hip replacement 3 months ago I was back on my bike at 4 weeks. This blip in my health adventures will require some research on the best way to ride and, where to purchase my new bike. I hope you don't mind the comment, but I know you are the best person to advise me about purchasing a recumbent in the Chicago land area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fortunate to live in a location served by one of -- if not THE -- best recumbent bicycle shops in the country: Amlings Cycle and Fitness. http://amlingscycle.com/ 8140 N. Milwaukee Avenue
    Niles, IL 60714 (847) 692-4240. Joe Reichert and his expert and dedicated staff will take a genuine and expert interest in your situation and offer advice and options.

    ReplyDelete