Saturday, November 21, 2009

9 Hours on the CompuTrainer

Indoor training is where it is going to have to `be' for the next few months. Sure, it is more than feasible to ride outdoors despite the cold and elements. But I couldn't achieve significant training objectives. I'd have to spend 2 hours loading and driving to and from; I'd have to take that time from other areas in my life; my daily training tasks would then be subject to weather and climate. Hands down: indoor training on the CompuTrainer is the best value for time, plan and energy.

On the Race Across the West my plan is to keep my heart rate generally between 100 - 110 bpm for the entire time. On some of the climbs I'm certain to exceed this by as many as 30 bpm or more. But one cannot do 860 miles in broiling sun with 61,000 feet of climbing at an anaerobic pace.

So yesterday my Training Plan (week 10 of 11 in the Foundation Phase) called for me to begin increasing the time I spend on the trainer. Previous to yesterday the longest I'd ever spent on the C'trainer was 7:10:00 when I was training for the 102 mile, 11,000 ft Assault on Mt. Mitchell in 2001. I finished AMM in 7:43:00. The Race Across the West will take between 80 and 90 hours!

As usual, I set my weight on the CompuTrainer for 25% heavier than I am so as to `train heavy' and `race light.' I set a pancake flat course. Mentally, I broke up the training into 3 hour segments. For the first 3 hours I completed 35 miles at an 67 avg watts and 90 bpm heart rate; second 3 hours 37 miles at 76 avg watts at 94 bpm heart rate; third 3 hours 40.21 miles at 89 avg watts at 101 avg watts.

My power and effort increased throughout the training event. At the end I felt I had `plenty left.' This tells me that I have achieved the goal of the foundation phase, i.e., endurance at an aerobic pace.

I was able to not be bored during this time for several reasons. First, I'm lucky to be able to enter a meditative state when on the indoor trainer. I do this purposely and very much enjoy it. Second, I spend some time listening to Audiobooks via the iPod. Yesterday I listened to Barack Obama's "Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance.". And for the last few hours I listened to PODRUNNER: Exercise music for fast-paced workouts.

After the 9 hour training task I cleaned up, ate a little and relaxed watching TV. My sleep was slightly disturbed (this is typical after a hard workout). Today I'm inclined to doze off a little here and there but do not feel physically taxed at all. I'd do a few more hours on the CompuTrainer if I didn't have bills to pay and other household tasks to accomplish.

I am pleased that I've been able to be pretty consistent with the training. At my age consistency means more than ever before.