Thursday, November 5, 2009

Being (ir)responsible

It has never gone away! No matter that I've ridden bicycles of one sort or another for 60 years. Still ... when I'm riding the bike I ALWAYS feel that I'm short-changing something else in my life for this selfish little bauble of riding my bike.

Happened again yesterday while training indoors. I'd get about 15 minutes into the training and my mind would wander to all the things I have to do (in life!). It has gotten so bad that I now have a little handheld microrecorder on a chair next to the bike so that I can record items for my `to do' list. It helps me `let go' of the myriad little things that I know I have to do. And it creates a pretty good `to do' list for me.

Another way I'm fighting of the `(ir)responsibility monster' is by doing my indoor trainings much earlier in the morning. I usually don't expect to be on the job until around 1:30pm (to 10:30-11:00pm). I used to daudle in the morning after I woke up around 7:30am or 8:00am. Have my coffee, read my email, pay a few bills, read the news. I'd be ready to wander down to the `cellar to spank Igor' (i.e., ride the C'trainer) around 10am. And from there I would find myself in an uncomfortable hurry until I got to the job.

Now ... I'm on the bike no later than 9am. Sometimes earlier.

What this amounts to is being more disciplined, spending less time waking up and daudling. But it's worth it.