Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm Lucky

Five weeks ago I went for my annual check up with my doc.  We've known eachother for the past 25 yearrs and we've always enjoyed keeping one another current about events in our lives: kids, work, vacations, etc.   My doc as tight as a drum when it comes to being both `professional' and personable.  Exceptionally thorough. 

So, the doc finds I got a lump on my prostate.  WHAT!!?!!!  Me?!!!  I'm an ultra endurance bulletproof pain machine athlete!! 

Doc has that `serious' look on his face.  A week later my doc's concern is confirmed by a top notch urologist.  I'm scheduled for a biopsy. 

In the meantime I'm talking very confidentialy to a few others while on a laser-focused information gathering process.  All of them confirm that early diagnosis is the key to successful outcome.  All of them praise my doc for being so diligent in literally pestering me to come in every year. 

Went in for the biopsy last week.  Took all of 15 minutes and was utterly and completely painless.  Half way through the procedure the urologist says "How you doing, Dan?"  I reply: "Fine.  You?"  He looks up and says: "Well, I'm a little behind right now."  Me: "Is that supposed to be a `pun.'"  And we share a little grave humor.

Today the urologist calls me.  I see his name on my phone caller ID and gird myself for `whatever.'  He starts out with: "Good news, Dan.  No cancer!" 

I was less impressed with the fact that the biopsy was negative for cancer than I was with the urologist's sensitivity to what must be going through his patient's mind when he gets such a call.  He didn't beat around the bush, give me a 5 minute preamble about medical this and medical that.  No.  First words out of his mouth: "GOOD NEWS, DAN.  NO CANCER." 

My advice to all reading this. 
  • Avoid the typical meat and potatoes, high fat western diet;
  • Don't do what I did and eat the worst of everything in the deluded belief that `if I'm a monster cyclist I must not be subject to any of the laws of mortality.'
  • Be vigilant about medical attention and care; especially if you've got a genetic (family hx) vulnerability and/or if you're an older person.
This was a wake up call that was given to me by people who cared more about me than I cared about myself.  No question about it: I'm lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment