Monday, May 30, 2011

Entropy

I don't really have anything of import (as far as `training' is concerned) to say in this post but I guess I just wanted to emphasize and/or record this for posterity. 

I'm in `crap' shape!

Last year at this time I was doing back to back 140 mile training rides for the Race Across the West.  Now, after doing 55, 25 and 18 miles over the past three days I'm shakey in the hand afterwords.  This is the consequence of not training over the past seven months. 

I don't know to what to attribute the stark contrast in level of fitness.  Some people say that it is a natural consequence of being and older athlete.  We're less resilient.  But I really don't have much to compare it with.  When I was in my late twenties and thirties I did lots and lots of miles as a runner, completing more than 8 marathons. 

I'm inclined to conclude that it is less `age' than it is not training. 

I do know that this has been one of the most inclement winters in my memory for Chicago.  And I've been much more conservative with my time and effort, not wanting to haul the bike 100 miles round trip in order to get out on the open road. 

It will be good to have the time, weather and terrain that will offer no excuse for not getting out there to train. 

I just HATE that steep climb into some mid-level of fitness every spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment