Monday, November 19, 2012

The `Beast'

Yesterday I got a late start on a training ride from Wilhoit toward Bagdad, the Santa Maria River (the low point).  This out and back route is 70 miles.  It is literally a `down and back up' route through some of the most intriguing and desolate sections of Arizona.
  • My Garmin 500 recorded a total of 955 feet of climbing on the 35 mile `out' leg of the ride (27.29 ft per mile).
  • There was 4,763 feet of climbing on the 35 mile `back' leg of the ride (136 ft per mile).
  • For a total of 5,718 feet of climbing for the entire training ride (81 ft per mile).
Wilhoit - Sta Maria River - Wilhoit

Because of the season and the altitude I was `chilly' during the entire event.  It was mostly cloudy so when in the direct sunlight I was warmed generously (but briefly).  As the afternoon wore on it became more cloudy and colder.  Of course I was increasingly wet (sweat) on the `back' leg.  Fortunately I carry `3 season clothing' and I managed to almost eliminate the chilling wind.

Combine the climbing and the cold I found myself unusually `sleepy' for such a short distance.

Around mile 60, amidst vast emptiness, I spied in my mirror, about 40 yards behind me, a large four footed animal chasing me.  It was too far for me to make out what the animal was but it was a very big dog or somethng like it.  This was the first time I was `chased' by wildlife.  I accelerated promptly but the animal was really closing the distance fast.  In my mind I decided if I couldn't ourtun it I was going stop and confront the beast.  I finally let out a loud bellow and prepared to stop, turn the bike around and attack it.  To my surprise the animal abruptly stopped and left the road. 

As I continued to ride I became aware that my `confront the beast' response was pure `animal' in me.  No fear.  I was damned angry and wanted to kill it. 

Later, driving home and, even later, falling asleep I then became afraid. 

I'll probably begin to carry some self-protection devices / weapons when I go off into such remote areas. 

But after the `beast' was gone I felt a strange and very satisfying sense of `excitement.'  No fear at all.  At least not until a few hours later. 

2 comments:

  1. Doc,
    I live in a rather remote part of West Virgina, where there are far more animals than residents. Riding trails and forest roads it is easy to run into bears, wild boar, and dogs. I always carry a can of "Halt!" just in case.

    --yodacallmesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like what a curious coyote who's never seen a man on a recumbent would do.

    ReplyDelete