Friday, November 30, 2012

Ultracycling and Introverts

Introvert personality.

If a crowded cocktail party feels like a holding cell to you, even as you gamely keep up your end of the chatter, chances are you're an introvert. Introverts are drained by social encounters and energized by solitary, often creative pursuits. Their disposition is frequently misconstrued as shyness, but many introverts socialize easily; they just strongly prefer not to. In fact, the introvert can be more empathic and interpersonally connected than his or her outgoing counterparts. The line between introversion and lonely loners gets blurry, however, as some introverts do wish they could break out of their shell.

I'd like to do a wide screen study of people who are long distance / long time cyclists.  In otherwords, I'd like to know if there are more of them out there like me. 

We are often asked: "Why do you do that?"  "What do you get out of that?"

And, if you're like me, you really don't have an answer.  "I dunno.  I just like it, I guess." 

Recently I listened to a glowing report from a cheerful and ebullient cyclist about riding a cross-state bicycle circus with up to 20,000 other cyclists.  She reported many wonderful experiences.  Later, asked if I had ever done that event I blurted out an almost involuntary:  "Never.  That sounds to me like a psychopathology."  (Real tactful of me, right?)

I think of the many cyclists I have known who enjoy solitary riding.  And of those who enjoy cycling with others ... but in almost total silence.  `Semi-solitary.'

I've learned that in social situations (more than 2 others) the description above is applicable, i.e., I feel drained by the situation.  Yet, I tend to thrive and feel alive and connected with one or two others. 

As a psychologist I've administered too many personality tests.  By and large they're grossly over / misinterpreted.  Worse, personality assessments are made in order to find a way to include / exclude a person from entry to a group or work environment.  It's brutal to take a snapshot of a person (who may have not slept that night, who may have had one cup of coffee too much, who may be under inordinate proximate stress) and then generalize from that snapshot. 

So, wouldn't it be interesting to meet another solo cyclist and ask about introversion and extroversion.

4 comments:

  1. I think you know enough about me to know that yes I did enjoy riding alone and though I also enjoyed riding with others it was most often in "semi-solitary" mode. Even yesterday I let you and Steve do the talking a lot if the time. I am quite aware of being an introvert and revel in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love riding lone and definitely an introvert. Big time introvert.

    ReplyDelete