Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Climbing on a recumbent

I live in Prescott, AZ.  The `flattest' training course I can find is 27 miles and 1,500 feet of climbing.

Last year I rode only 7,100 miles but climbed 570,000 feet.  At this point in 2013 I've ridden 2,080 miles and climbed 112,000 feet.  I'm trying to do more miles this year while not pushing the million feet climbed mark.  In other words, my location doesn't allow me NOT to climb a lot. 

For long steady miles of climbing 3% - 5% grades do your best to find a low gear that allows you to remain aerobic.  Your goal should be to complete the long climb with plenty of energy remaining for the rest of the ride.

On short steep climbs there are a few things to consider.  If the grade is (in my case) between 12 - 15%, and only 20 - 30 yards long I gear down to my lowest gear and employ both high spinning rpms and watch my speed.  If my speed gets below 4.5 mph I know I'm risking wobbling and will consider walking up the hill.  I allow my heart rate to increase, knowing it will be very temporary. 

On rolling terrain I try to use accelerate my speed and let inertia take me up as much of the next roller as possible.  And then I just assess how much I need to gradually increase watts/power while gearing down into lower gears.  Always a judgment call as to the ultimate length of the course and how strong my legs are. 

On long rides involving a variety of flats, rollers, short hills and steep climbs (not to mention switchbacks with 22% corners) I have to measure out my effort so that I don't get destroyed by being overly aggressive on the climbs.  And then, of course, there is the issue of `headwind' or `tailwind.'  And the heat.

Yesterday 80.2 miles 7,240 feet I was fortunate to have a 15-20 mph tailwind climbing a 9 mile long 4-9% grade section of road.  I was faster climbing and my heart rate was manageable.  Sadly, that was a rare exception.  I'm usually grinding up that grade much more slowly. 

In my case, and only because I don't have much of a choice, I've gotten stronger legs and hips.  Because of that I'm pretty good at climbing both short and long.  But I learned, of course, how to do this slowly and with lots of sloppy rides.  That is, I'd go too fast, climb too hard, and find myself depleted of energy over the last half or so of the ride. 

Some times I'll ride a course of long miles of relatively short rollers (2 - 4%).  Given that I always get a chance to `rest' on the downhill sections I'll hammer.  With time and experience it is a reasonable thing to do.  And it's lots of fun, esp with a strong tailwind.

FWIW I weigh around 185-190 lbs, train with weight (lots of water, sometimes 3 seasons worth of clothes because of the frequent changes in altitude), and am 67.  I don't really know what being 67 means in terms my ability and performance because I never did this crazy ultra stuff when I was younger.  I can only guess that if I put the same effort and intensity into Ultracycling when I was younger I would have produced better results. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment