Monday, March 25, 2013

More on motivation ...

(I ride without music.  Part of it has to do with safety.  Part of it has to do with the fact that, after a while, it's like chewing dead chewing gum.  At least half my reason for no music is because I get a chance to think about things.) 

Yesterday, on an 8 hour ride, a few things came together for me about my own motivation. 

I entered three 24 hour races in the past 12 months and finished none of them.  If nothing else, I spent a lot of money traveling places just to DNF. 

I didn't feel the least bit `bad' about DNF'ing three big events in a row.  THAT is what really got me thinking about motivation.

Why did I put all that time and money into something that, when I DNF'd, it wasn't a problem?

On two of the 24 hour events my DNF was, what I consider, `legitimate.  That is I didn't have the physical resources to finish (another story).  However, this last February was different.  I stopped after 14 hours because `it wasn't worth it.' 

Not `worth' it?!

And no sense of disappointment in myself after DNF'ing?!

Here is where you, the reader, may want to stop reading.  Although this is about `motivation' it has to do with MY motivation.  Maybe generalizable to you.  Maybe not.

-----------

Work in process.  That's how I consider myself these days. 

First, I've learned not to be so vulnerable to other's opinion of me or my actions.  We can call it  many things but `maturity' is probably the most accurate. 

Second, my own temperament.  We each have a `temperament' and psychological research suggests that there is a great deal of heritability to temperament.  I have a low tolerance for most people, despite my profession.  When younger I tended to try to change people.  Now, older and more mature, I realize that is disrespectful and pointless.

Finally, I am concerned about what only a very few people think of me or my actions.  (And, if their opinion of me is based on my cycling performance ... we've both made a mistake).

--

Several years ago I gave an interview about why I was doing the Race Across the West - RAW (which I ultimately didn't finish).  The interviewer stated that it was a certainty that I would finish.  I corrected him, stating that "if I knew I could do it I wouldn't."  ?!!

RAW, to me, was an unanswered question.  Did I have it in me to finish?  I found out that I did not have sufficient training to finish.  The lesson was that Ultracycling is harder than I thought.  And if I wanted to be successful at it I would have to devote more time and resources to training.

I subsequently put in more time and devoted more resources to my training.  I completed a few events (including a 24 hour race) that had never been before on a recumbent. 

More important, however, I learned what it takes to successfully complete significant Ultracycling events. 

--

The 24 hour event that I ended after 14 hours because it wasn't `worth it' confirmed to me what I said several years earlier: If I knew I could do it I wouldn't.  I knew that I could successfully complete the 24 hour event.  So I stopped when the `pain v. benefit' equation became apparent. 

Why, then, did I devote so much time and effort to the 24 hour event?

--

So this is what I have learned about myself, so far. 
  • My real motive for the race was `social.' 
  • I wanted to meet the people I had communicated with for years but never `saw.' 
  • I wanted to spend time with a few old friends I missed. 
  • I wanted to see the 24 hour course that so many people had talked about. 
--

What a surprise. 

Surprised because I recognized that the core source of motivation for me is consistent: Only a challenge that is mammoth, the outcome of which I am uncertain, is `worth it.'  ("If I knew I could do it I wouldn't.")

Surprised that I was interested in the people of the event.  A `social' appeal?!  This realization is counter to all the psychological defenses I have built to keep from being hurt by other's opinion of me.  It counters my `hermit' temperament. 

--

So, what am I going to do differently, now that I have conscious awareness of the topography of my motivation?

Well, first, I'm going to admit that I am more social than I have allowed.  Deconstructing some defenses is scary, but `worth it.'

Then I'm going to be more careful about choosing cycling challenges.  It turns out that I live in a location that has no end to cycling challenges.  Is it `worth it' to me to attempt these challenges knowing that social approval and prestige are unlikely to be gained?   A `private' challenge.

Then there is, for me, the moral component of this.  Training for and spending money on events that I ultimately don't really care about has implications. 

An intense training plan means that I short-change family and friends.  When I'm training I'm absent. When I'm not training I'm tired and not much of a friend or husband. 

Money is not for free.  Without going into detail it is a moral `thing' for me to not `waste' money that other people deservedly need.  Hotels, gasoline and road food ... these are not socially appropriate uses of money. 












5 comments:

  1. Interesting introspection, especially realizing you are more sociable than originally indicated. But Dan, your music is like chewing dead chewing gum? To whom and what are you listening, Barry Manilow? Download some Stones or Muddy Waters, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dawn. The tunes I listen to on the indoor trainer are `electronica.' In other words, heart attack worthy. And then who would find my dessicated corpus out there in the AZ desert? Good to hear from you. I so very much enjoy your blog. Say hello to Mr. Barry White, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get 'You wouldn't do a 24 hour because you can?' Would you stop cycling because you can? Stop being healthy because you are? Mmmmm... I think you should timestamp your achievements. I think that what a person can do is relative to the present and what they have done is only relevant to a time in the past. For example: I DNS (did not start) the 2008 160km TT due to illness. I DNF the 2009 because of injury. I completed the 2010 under my goal time.I DNE ( did not enter) the 2013 due to recovery from surgery. So today, this year, I cannot do a 160km TT, but did one in 2010.

    I also really don't get that you are too sociable to finish, yet you are too self-centred to show people you care about that it was worth putting up with you and your cycling.

    Why do you think you wasted money just because you didn't finish and event? Weren't you spending it on yourself in the way you wanted?

    Like you said, you will please your self and you don't care what people think of you. That is fair enough and please ignore me reflecting on your post and not getting where you are at. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get it that you don't get it, Brad. Your perspective is too worthy to ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this and your recent posts very interesting as I have also been questioning "why I ride" recently. In the beginning (2008) there were all these challenges ahead. I had a lot of fun on the CA Triple Crown series, really enjoyed the "social" aspect of those rides, despite spending a lot of time riding solo. I was quite obsessed with increasing my speed but, despite modest training efforts, realized it was really quite difficult. Then I discovered brevets and built up to Paris-Brest-Paris in 2011. That was the point when I concluded that Ultra-Cycling was really rather hard and best enjoyed by someone with masochistic tendencies. I loved the PBP route but hated the fact that I had to ride at such a pace, and through the night, that I simply couldn't enjoy it. That was my Aha moment. I still ride doubles and brevets and I train sufficiently to complete them, but I ride at my comfort pace and I try to avoid riding through the night and, indeed, longer than 18 hours at a stretch (which most people would still consider crazy). I'm doing a 400K in a couple of weeks and I'll stop at a hotel at 200 miles and ride the final 50 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete