Friday, September 18, 2015

Compared to what?

My wife is a geriatric social worker.  She's spent decades helping the elderly and very elderly make it to the end of the day. 

A number of her clients were and are holocaust survivors.  She'd come home describing their sad situations.  She'd tell me of their wisdom.  Despite the adversities that they experience they typically shared a sad comment: "Could be worse!"

Perspective.

One very funny day today. 

On my way to do a 120 mile training ride and got a flat tire 2 miles from home.  Had to cancel the training ride.  Could have been worse: flat tire in the godawful 120F desert.

Subaru 4 wheel drive requires 4 wheels of same size ... a new `shaved' tire would take 6 days to get here.  Could have been worse: 7 days.

The other 3 tires about due for replacement.  Bit the bullet and got them replaced.  Could have been worse: ... I can't think of anything worse.

Every person sincerely providing me service today got it wrong the first three times.  Could have been worse: I could have taken it personally.

People wondering why I was laughing uncontrollably to myself by 9AM.  Could have been worse:  I could have taken life's exigencies gravely. 

I am really glad to be alive and finally coming to a sense of appreciation of problems. 

I have it so dreadfully easy.   

1 comment:

  1. I hear you. At least you didn't end up buying 5 tires with one coming later and it being un-cancellable.

    I find myself facing various challenges health wise but am training for 2019 PBP. I am lucky to be young enough and in good enough shape to be able to consider it. OTOH when my blood suger tests poorly I get upset. But it is all good. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete