Monday, September 21, 2015

Skull Valley Loop Challenge - 2015 - Strategy and Tactic

I waited until the day of the event to decide to do this year's SVLC. 

The day earlier I completed a 100 mile training ride on Salome Road, where the temperature averaged 105F.  I thought I'd be too beat up to do the SVLC the very next day.  But, apparently, I wasn't. 

In all my previous SVLC events I made it into a `race.'  This year I committed to a nice, pleasant `ride.'  I tend to ignore wisdom on shorter events and get myself sucked into making them all-out efforts.  So I made a PLAN for this year's 2015 Skull Valley Loop Challenge.

  • At the start line I stayed well in the back so as not to get sucked into the race pace of the leaders.  I actually wound up chatting with a few folks - which I never do when riding. 
  • SVLC starts out with a 6 mile, 1,000 foot climb.  I took my time.
  • At the top of the hill there is a screaming 12.2 mile descent to Skull Valley and then a calm, rolling 7 mile descent to Kirkland.  No heroics or maximum efforts, though I did allow myself to hit 50+ mph within the first mile of the descent. 
  • I gave it a decent, sub-maximal effort on the 7 miles to Kirkland.
  • I allowed myself an `off in the bushes to take care of b'ness' a few miles after that - a rarity.
  • And then, from Kirkland Junction, the dreaded 9 mile steady 4 - 7% climb past Wilhoit to Mile Post 298.  Again, I took my time.  To the point where I felt like falling asleep. 
With 13 miles remaining of twisting switchbacks, steep descents and ascents, I decided to let it all out and race.  I chased rabbits.  That is, anything or anybody in front of me would become a `target' for me to catch and pass. 

Those 13 miles were great fun.  I started to recognize the jerseys of so many of the people who passed me on that previous 9 mile climb.  A few took umbrage at a recumbent passing them on the ascents and attempted to `catch' me after I passed them.  If I don't want them to catch me I can make that happen.  (On longer events I may allow that recognizing that I don't want to "burn all my matches"). 

Finally, there is a 3.5 mile steady descent back into Prescott.  There was a stiff cross wind and head wind that kept my speed below 40 mph.  But, again, it was great fun zipping past the intersection police holding traffic. 

Intentionally a `ride' pace, not `race' pace.  But it was fun.  And I felt good energy throughout.  Pleased that I could accomplish a blistering hot flat 100 miles the day before and do fairly well on the Skull Valley Loop Challenge. 

2 comments: