Sunday, September 27, 2015

Bar End Shifters: SRAM TT900 v SRAM R2C

SRAM TT900 https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/900-aero-shifter

SRAM R2C https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-r2c-aero-shifters


I've used the SRAM TT500 and TT900 shifters for years and found them to be excellent.  Lightweight, easy to operate.  The spring in the unit would somehow break but there are easy fixes for that.  When a set of TT500s had a spring issue within the first year, rather than fix it myself I returned them to my LBS (Amlings Cycle and Fitness in Niles, IL).  Joe Reichert, owner of Amlings, returned it to SRAM and SRAM sent me a new set of TT900s as a replacement.  Nice move.

I recently purchased a set of SRAM R2C (return to center) shifters on the recommendation of another LBS.  I was not entirely convinced that these shifters would justify the difference in cost.  Over the past 6 weeks I've been pleased and impressed.  But, still ... the cost benefit issue still grates.

One of the problems I would have with the SRAM TT's is that it would require a small destabilizing of the steering to move up and down the cassette.  What with the local terrain (fast, descending switchbacks) that small element of destabilization troubled me.  In my case I'd have to use the palm of my hand to get the RD shifted the full range.  A problem.
 

The SRAM R2C shifting (friction on front, index in back) feels easier, too.  Not sure why. Less effort to move the derailleurs.  The fact that the lever is always in the same position (center) is another thing I don't have to think about when making fast changes.  (I noticed this yesterday while making quick up and down shifting when taking advantage of some short dips in the road while doing intervals.  I couldn't do this with the TT900s).

The SRAM R2C shifters are twice the cost of the SRAM TT900s.  Now that I have the SRAM R2Cs I can easily rationalize the purchase (washing away the buyer's remorse).  Having to do it over again?  I'd still get the R2Cs but I'd feel the `pain.'

No comments:

Post a Comment