Thursday, April 14, 2016

Always Something To Learn

Yesterday I travelled south about 70 miles to train on relatively flat terrain.  The training plan called for the following:
 
  • heat acclimatization
  • increased time cycling
  • aerobic training
 
While I achieved these goals I noted the effect of `ramping up' into challenging physical demands.  56 Miles on Vulture Mine Road
 
I started the training ride at 11AM so as to experience early to mid-afternoon desert heat.  I was not disappointed.  The course was a 56 mile out and back, with the out leg of 28 miles of descent and a return of 28 miles of modest climbing (1 - 3% grades).  The temps were in the late 90's and early 100's on the way back.
 
A few things I `relearned' along the way:
 
  • I should have had something to eat before I started;
  • Bring more water;
  • Don't lay the bike down with the water bottle bite valve `open.'  3/4 of the water just drained out;
  • Just as you find an out of the way private place to take a dump expect a train of four-person ATVs to drive right past you, gawking
  • Make sure the spare tubes have a valve that is long enough to accommodate the wheel rim.
 
Though I had planned to ride about 75 miles it was safe and prudent to just do one out and back (56 miles).  The heat was harsh.  I didn't have enough water.  I didn't eat enough.  I got a flat tire and used one of two spare tubes.  The other spare tube had a valve that was too short (32mm instead of 48). 
 
When I got back to the car I was a bit wobbly.  Heat and dehydration. 
 
That's what happens when you train.  You find out what you do right and what you do wrong. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment