Saturday, August 6, 2011

Can't learn if you don't try ...

Everything carries some risk.

Those of us who think they avoid risk are, in fact, risking the possibility of a good outcome to an anxiety producing stimulus.  Those of us who withdraw from recognizing this, those of us who make our world smaller and smaller by trying to eliminate anxiety live truncated and sad lives.

So, our task is to attempt to improve our judgment as to what constitutes a calculated risk for an outcome that is worthy.  How do we improve our judgment?  By taking risks, becoming experienced, getting some knocks along the way that motivate us to exercise better judgment the next time.

Today I did what is becoming my usual training run.  A 35 mile up and over out and back course with lots of hills, turns, burning sun and threatening wind and thunderstorms.  An excellent training course.

Navigating a 2 mile descent to the turnaround point there are many twists and turns in the road.  Today I encountered a `crease' in the road surface at one of the turns while doing 35.1 mph (according to the Garmin) and feathering the brakes.  My wheel drifted in and out of the crease in the road and I went down, sliding about 15 yards to the sandy shoulder of the road.  I got three nice, red skin burns (aka `road rash') destroying my shorts and an arm `cooler' in the process.  Mountain training course - Crease in Road

What did I learn? 
  • To be alert to that curve and crease.  
  • That I made a good decision in buying cheap riding shorts at Walmart.  
  • That when something like that happens it is best to take an inventory of your body first, the bike next.  
  • To do whatever road repairs necessary to safely finish the training course.  
  • To finish.  
  • To finish!
A fellow in the group with which I was riding was coming back up the mountain and was good enough to stop and offer assistance.  I asked him if, when he got within cell phone service, he could call my wife to get her to come get me.  He made sure I had food and water and took off.  I got the bike back on the road, rode to the turnaround point and started back up the mountain.  When he got to the start point (Safeway) he drove back, halfway to Wilhoit, in his car to assure I was o.k..  He offered to drive me back.

What a great fellow!  Again, he assured I had food and water and even offered to give me `a push' as we were on a 6-7% incline.  I thanked him profusely but declined the offers.  As for the push I told him that my `ego' wouldn't allow me to accept it.  We shook hands and I assured him I would `pay it forward.'  I took off and as he drove past me he honked and I waved. 

Perhaps more importantly, today, I learned that I need to begin to modify my training program to include short uphill intervals.  I was passed by a handful of DF cyclists while climbing the 4 mile elevation to a `rocky top.'  Though I am improving my endurance I need now to carefully but deliberately begin intervals.

I'll review my plan to include this 4 mile 3% - 8% series of steady inclines so as to ... go faster.

A good day!!

2 comments:

  1. Bummer Dan. Hate to see a good pair of riding shorts go to melted Lycra! I know how that feels and it was not enjoyable at all.
    All in all you are having fun and the training will be rewarding.
    Nacho

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly the "crease" you are talking about. I hasn't taken me down but it has been a source of anxiety. Sorry you went down.

    ReplyDelete