Sunday, August 14, 2011

On track. On the edge.

These past 3 weeks of summary data:

WEEK 1:
Hrs trained:   7.33 hours
Miles:  79.26
Feet of climbing: 6,954

WEEK 2:
Hrs trained:   11.6 hours
Miles:  133.3
Feet of climbing: 10,826

WEEK 3:
Hrs trained:   16 hours
Miles:  162.5
Feet of climbing: 14,028

At the end of the first week I felt very fatigued and sort of shocked at how difficult it was to train.  I expected the fatigue and was alert to not overtrain.

At the end of the second week I felt fatigued, too.  Lots of naps.  But it was dawning on me that my gearing was not right.  Too many high gears, too few low gears.

Now, at the end of the third week I am pretty much on top of the fatigue and realize that this next week needs to be a week of relative rest.  Fewer hours of training.

Yesterday I switched out some gears (from 11-25 to11-34 cassette) on the rear wheel of one of my bikes and rode a triple crank (60-39-30).  My training ride today was significantly improved because of it.  Lots of climbing, mostly in the 4% - 7% range with some 11% - 14% climbs. 

Previously on the longer 7% climbs my speed would be paced in the 5 mph to 6.5mph range.  Now, with the improved gearing I'm steady in the 7 - 7.5 + mph range for long periods.  Tangible proof of improved fitness and better gearing. 

Pacing was good.  Within my capacity.  Fatigue was not as overwhelming as it was the previous two weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment