Friday, August 5, 2011

Dearth! Calamity.

Not as in `Darth Vader.'  Dearth means there is a relative scarcity of something. 

There is a `dearth' of recumbent cyclists where I live.  Almost, in fact, an utter absence of bent cyclists. 

I can understand why, of course.  Today, on what is becoming my frequent training run, http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104259159 I did 34.75 miles and climbed 3,277 feet at an altitude of 6000 feet.  Most of the course was between 4% and 8% grades (out and back so I got what I gave) in just over 3 hours. 

When I think of doing 34 miles in just over 3 hours when living in Illinois I'd have probably just sold my bike and taken up recreational drinking til the end.  But today there were as many 5 mph uphill grinds as there were screaming 36 mph descents. 

--------------------------

During my training today I encountered packs of recreational motorcycles, two and three at a time.  They looked like they were loaded up for long distance riding and it appeared to be a motorcycle club probably out of Phoenix going north. 

As I returned from the `out' limit of today's course I was going up the Bradshaw Mountain two lane road with numerous switchbacks and sheer drop-offs to the right.  About 3 miles into the return I noticed a fellow standing at the bend of a switchback, stationary.  Who is that?  Why is he just standing there? 

As I neared the sharp bend to the left in the road I then noticed about 12 motorcycles, two SUVs and lots of fellows clustered near the edge of the cliff.  I was wondering: "What?!  Are they taking pictures of the valley below?"  Until I got closer and realized that there were two feet sticking up from a stretched out body. 

I pulled over and was prepared to help if possible.  No need.  At least, as I write this there seemed to be no need. 

One of the motorcyclists was either taking the ascending switchback too fast or he was not paying attention.  In any event he just drove right off the road - no skid marks --, off a cliff and into a ravine about 100 - 200 feet below.  His mates saw this and came to his aid ... at least, this was certainly their intention. 

His motorcycle was deep down in the ravine among the rocks and brush.  He was apparently brought out of the ravine and laid out on a flat section of road.  The fellow attending to him was asking him to tell him the day, what date it is.  He was laying there motionless, his eyes open, unblinking and dilated.  No response.  Motionless. 

The fellow I saw at the corner of the switchback was calling for help on what must have been a satellite phone (because there is no cell service in this remote location). 

I hope that my conclusions about what I saw are incorrect, that he was just dazed and unhurt.  But further up ( 30 minutes!) in my ascent into the mountain road came four emergency vehicles including an ambulance. 

Pay attention, mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment