Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cold weather training

Starting out early on Saturday and Sunday meant braving a sunless steel grey sky, frosty fields and 25 degrees F. Underdressed Saturday and risked a chill that saw me courting the flu this time last year -- my first fever!

The Shimano 3 strap sandals are extremely comfortable and can accomodate dressing the foot in warm and windproof socks and `booties.' Still, I didn't quite get the calculation correct and found that I had the dreaded `foot is a numb block of ice' effect on Saturday. Went to Joe Reichert's Amlings Cycle http://amlingscycle.com/ on way home and picked up some hand warmers (they activate when exposed to air and can last up to 6 or 7 hours).

On Sunday I participated in a local-ish (115 miles round trip) 62 mile invitational in Richmond, Il. Over 3,300 feet of climbing, starting out from the local fire department. Used the hand warmers and sandals. Warm wool socks (up to my knees). Wrap the warmer over the toes and put a rubbery shoe bootie over the woolen sock and warmer. Then add another toe bootie.

The temperature wasn't the problem, though it was very cold. Rather, given that there were countless spikey hills I frequently crossed into the 40 mph territory coming down hill. My legs and torso got cold in such a windchill. However, my feet were toasty. Certainly, when it gets cold enough for the pawls to freeze sandals won't cut it. But this was a pleasant learning experience.

Water in my 48 oz bladder froze in the hose. Had to stop twice to gently twist and bend the hose and suck to get it going again. My 16 oz bottle of maltodextrin, some whey protein, didn't freeze. Spooky.

Given the pace and energy that I put into the Richmond invitational (pushed hard at least 80% of the time, doing satisfyingly well on the hills -- short and long --) I failed to fuel enough. Around mile 50 I experienced the `bonk.' Stopped and retrieved an energy bar(brick) and some Clif Shot Bloks (ice cubes). I'm lucky to be able to respond within a few quick minutes to ingestion of carbs and was off again.

One wants to smack one's forehead for forgetting to eat in a heavy workout.

The Richmond course is a good one for RAW training. Plenty of 10-12% climbs, a few long 1 - 2 mile 3% grades. Around a series of lakes and moraines in the northern Illinois area. I'll hope to train heavily in this terrain now and in the Spring.

About getting cold after being all sweaty and screaming down hills when the temps are hovering 30 F: I'll have to find a way to not overdress while still protecting against wind chill.