Friday, October 30, 2009

Recline position, breathing and an empty bowel system ...

PERISTALSIS: The wavelike movement of muscles in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract that moves food and liquid through the GI tract.

Diaphragmatic breathing, abdominal breathing, belly breathing ... is the act of breathing deep into your lungs by flexing your diaphragm rather than breathing shallowly by flexing your rib cage. This deep breathing is marked by expansion of the stomach (abdomen) rather than the chest when breathing. It is generally considered a healthier and fuller way to ingest oxygen.

My curiosity about this issue causes me to risk making some readers feel a little queasy discussing this.

Going back to my first long, fast ride (I later learned it was a `race') on the recumbent at Metamora, IL, in 2008 I found that less than 10 miles into the event I had to rush off deep into a cornfield to ... uh ... take a very serious `dump.' Fortunately, when I ride I literally carry the kitchen sink (toilet paper) to salve my (wrong word) `anal' personality.

I never had this experience riding the upright bike. It occurs ONLY (and without fail!) on the recumbent bike. And I am certain that it has to do with the recline position on the recumbent.

Since that time I've been very, very alert to needing to have a pretty empty stomach and bowel system before I hit the road on a training ride or race. This has required me to literally go on a liquid diet for 2 or even 3 days before an event. In the course of my normal day to day life I honestly can't manage to keep to a liquid diet if I'm doing outdoor training 3 - 5 times each week.

On the days that I hit the road in the early a.m. after a `normal' few days of eating solid food I have to take into consideration the following: I ride for about 4 - 5 miles with increasing discomfort and a sense of feeling `bloated.' This translates to a sense of breathing problems. Like clockwork I have the need to find a port-a-john or gas station to take the `dump.' After the `dump' I'm on the bike and feel 150% more comfortable, have absolutely NO awareness of breathing problems, and find that I can generate far more watts and feel far more `alive' on the bike than before the `dump.'

I've concluded that I am a natural diaphragm breather. I guess I'm fortunate in that regard. But, it clearly implies that, in my case, I have to be mindful of the need to have an `emptyish' gut before I enter a race. As well, in training I have to anticipate and plan for discreet and appropriate bathroom facilities (or deep cornfields) to `take care' of this issue so that I can get on with my training.

I have not heard from other recumbent racers (or even those who ride the less radically reclined casual recumbents) who may also have this ... situation.

(For what it is worth I have no medical problems that would explain this phenomenon.)

- Dan