Monday, October 19, 2009

Contrasts ... ethereal and the mundane

Seventy-one miles of freezing temps, pitch-black night and absolutely stunning sensation of being alive.


Up at 3am to drive to the 32 mile loop in rural Hampshire. It has been quite a while since I rode in the dark. And it was the first time I can remember riding alone, in the pitch black of night, with a sub-freezing temp.


I dressed right and am using hand and foot warmers to take much of the sting out of the cold. Fortunately, all the mechanical and fuel systems worked flawlessly.


Not a soul on the roads. I was toasty warm throughout.


The two forward lights were sufficient but I will probably be looking for something stronger. Frost on some of the roads.


Rolled through several wonderfully mysterious patches of foggy frost in the dark. As the sun rose the colors, quiet, fog and solitude were ethereal.


The day before I attempted the same ride but a cleat came off the mtb Shimano spd shoe I use in this weather. I was 7 miles out and took a short cut back for a total of 11 miles ridden and 92 miles driven!!!


Finished up at 10 am and got home in time to get two emergency calls from clients and one call from daughter in law. My son (James - 41) was admitted to the hospital over the night due to what turned out to be pericarditis and a `touch' of pneumonia.


Off we all went to visit with him. He's fine now but it is a `mortality check' with all that that entails for a wonderful son, husband and father.