Monday, October 5, 2009

Heat acclimatization & Cattle stampede

CA and AZ in the summer, esp at the lower elevations, is very, very hot. RAAM and RAW vets report it being in the triple digits. The heat, more than the climbing, slowed or stopped many riders. Reading their reports one is struck by how the strongest and hardiest of them are humbled by the intense heat.

Of course, it is Fall toward Winter in Chicago and there is little sunlight in my basement. So here is my strategy toward heat acclimatization.

  • Indoor training without a fan
  • A 1200 watt space heater near the bike
  • Layered clothing:
  • arm warmers
  • leg warmers
  • short sleeve jersey (not poly nor cotton, but wool)
  • long sleeve nylon jacket

Today I did one hour on a flat course (C'trainer).

  • C'trainer set at 250 rider, though I weigh 203 (today)
  • Avg watts: 169
  • Avg HR: 136
  • 18.3 miles

I should weigh myself before and after workouts if I am going to be training `hot.'

------------------------------------

I've found the second best method to repel dogs (the first best method is a .22 calibre nine shot pistol but I decided to stop doing that 47 years ago. Another story).

http://www.falconsafety.com/ sells a product called the Sound 911 Personal Safety Horn. It sends out a 118-decibel blast of sound. No batteries or wires. Comes in a teeny can that I've zip-tied to the right handlebar, just above the Zefal mirror.

This weekend I used it twice. I was in the rural Illinois farmland.

The first time was when a small ankle biter started chasing me from it's porch. I casually reached up and depressed a little button. The dog stopped cold.

The second time is when I was slowing down for a cross highway. Two big yard dogs were bounding toward me with only a `cosmetic' fence between us. They slowed as they got to the fence but I wasn't waiting. I depressed the button and they both stopped, their heads went down, their ears and tails dragging. They abruptly turned around loping like they had been spanked.

Cattle Stampede: With the pair of yard dogs I noted a bunch of cows in a nearby field. When I hit the horn they were startled and started to move quickly away. This is something I DIDN'T want to happen.

I don't know the effect on milk production that this horn has. And I don't want to piss off some hard working dairy farmer.

But this horn is easy to mount, to use, and is profoundly effective.

Maybe now I can take that can of Bear Spray hanging from the riser and put it back in the brain box. :-))