Sunday, October 4, 2009

Reason is frustrating

You would think that age and experience would bring wisdom.

In complete contradiction to my rational training plan I irrationally `re'planned to do an orgy of cycling this weekend because my wife, Annie, was out of town. Initially the replan saw me doing 100 miles on a flat course on the CompuTrainer Friday; then a 100 miles at an easy lope on the Hampshire course on Saturday; then (going COMPLETELY against the strategy of saving money) I was going to drive 180 miles round trip to do a local invitational 100 miles Sunday.

From the neck up I'm not so smart. I was taught a lesson by the `from the neck down' part of me.

The Friday CompuTrainer course was anything but flat. I loaded up a very hilly course and managed to finish 58 miles in 4 hours. I purposely didn't push it but found myself pretty spent at the end.

The intent on Saturday was to do three 32.5 mile loops in Hampshire. Did only two laps for 65 miles in just short of 4 hours. Though it was cold there wasn't a harsh wind. And though it began sprinkling in the last 90 minutes of the ride there wasn't enough rain to even slick the roads. But I realized that I had no power about an hour into the ride.

I used the Garmin Edge 705 that my son's bought me for the first time. It's replaced my 4 yr old 305. It still keeps the key data I want but adds an entirely new dimension to riding (as I learned this morning as I uploaded my data to the Garmin online resource and drank in the data being presented in interesting graphical format).

This being Sunday I've caved to the message my body is telling me (you're doing too much too soon) and only doing two hours of flat-flat-flat course on the CompuTrainer. Active rest. HR below 120 at all times. Maybe even less. Just spinning while I read.

I guess I'm not as thickheaded as I used to be. At least I'm listening to my body these days, even though I still have the tendency to `re-plan' impulsively.

Household chores today having to do with the change of seasons.